Here are the notes on this system.
Notes on configuration status/changes and ToDo is at the bottom.
This section explains some of the special use for this system.
OpenPBS = Portable Batch System
PBS is a system for scheduling compute jobs onto nodes, aka "workload management software", that was first created by NASA in the '90s. We ran this early version on our farm back then. It is very sophisticated and thus not so trivial to configure. Some things are already setup.
The company supporting the open source version is PBS Gridworks which seems to be a devision of "Altair".
There are no manuals for OpenPBS, only for PBS Pro. To get to them, you need to create a username/password at the PBS Pro User Area you can then get to the Documentation.
- This gives a quick overview of all the known nodes and whether they are up. If they are what the status is.
- Set the UNH IP address (endeavour.unh.edu) on eth1
- I switched the IP address on eth0 to 10.0.0.100 from 10.0.0.1 (since that is the usual gateway address, and we want to bridge the two backend networks.) This requires ALL "hosts" files on the nodes to be modified. (Node 2 and Node 3 are on, and so these are done.)
- Set the root password to standard scheme.
- Setup the LDAP client side
- Integrate back-end link with our farm.
Long Term To Do
Possible long term tasks if manpower is available.
- Replicate LDAP server.
- Replicate home directories for selected users (this may be too tricky, really)