Here are the notes on this system.
Notes on configuration status/changes and ToDo is at the bottom.
This section explains some of the special use for this system.
OpenPBS = Torque = Portable Batch System
PBS is a system for scheduling compute jobs onto nodes, aka "workload management software", that was first created by NASA in the '90s. We ran this early version on our farm back then. It is very sophisticated and thus not so trivial to configure. Some things are already setup.
The company supporting the old open source version is PBS Gridworks which seems to be a devision of "Altair". They haven't touched their free open version since 2001.
There are no manuals for OpenPBS from Altair, only for PBS Pro. To get to them, you need to create a username/password at the PBS Pro User Area you can then get to the Documentation. Do not expect a one to one correspondence between the OpenPBS and PBSPro versions (like, you don't need a FLEX license for the open one.)
- This gives a quick overview of all the known nodes and whether they are up. If they are what the status is.
- Graphical interface to PBS
- Graphical interface to monitor nodes. (nice)
Initial setup and Configuration
- Set the UNH IP address (endeavour.unh.edu) on eth1.
- This made the system think of itself as "endeavor" rather than "master", causing PBS to get confused. PBS in /var/spool/pbs adjusted, also the maui scheduler in /usr/local/maui/maui.cfg modified.
- I switched the IP address on eth0 to 10.0.0.100 from 10.0.0.1 (since that is the usual gateway address, and we want to bridge the two backend networks.)
- This requires ALL "hosts" files on the nodes to be modified
- Also, the /root/.shosts /root/.rhosts and /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts files need to be copied from node2 to node*
- Set the root password to standard scheme.
- Setup the LDAP client side.
- Recompiled PBS to include the xpbs and xpbsmon commands.
- Configured and started the iptables firewall
- Integrated the backend network with the farm backend network (bridged the network switches)
- Setup automount, standard /net/data and /net/home
- TODO: We need a new rule that resolves /net/data/node2 for the disk in node2 etc.
- Figure out the monitoring system, Ganglia, and other Microway goodies.
Long Term To Do
Possible long term tasks if manpower is available.
- Replicate LDAP server.
- Replicate home directories for selected users (this may be too tricky, really)